Questions
  • lizzzylizzzy
    Member, Moderator
    If you have a question, want to know something. Or simply just not sure about something. Shout out. There are no silly questions, if your thinking it someone else probably is too. I am not an expert, i can only share my experiences. I was Sleeved in March 2013, i never had a band.
  • Does anyone get a rash or itchy around there incisions ???
    I'm banded but get really itchy and a rash around the incision where my port was inserted! The others are ok it's only the big one..
    If you do what creams/oils do you use??
    I bought some vitamin E cream from the body shop today hoping it calms down,

Bec
  • lizzzylizzzy
    Member, Moderator
    that sometimes can be due to the bandage.... don't worry some use bio oil, i used my body shop vitamin E cream. just make sure after shower you dry it really good and then get some sunlight on it....only for a wee bit, you dont want to get burned. i found sitting in the sun for about 10 mins after my shower helped me heal quicker..and made me feel just plain better. It does gets better after a few days, i promise. If your still concerned and its angry and yucky looking, go and get it check out.
    Good luck on your new journey:)

Geoff Draper: May I just add a comment here. Avoid adding oils etc to very new wounds . After 6 weeks or so you can use oils and creams if you like, and I agree bio oil is a good choice and very popular. Avoid sun exposure for the first 12 months after surgery to maximise the scar maturing to the colour of the rest of your skin. The itching early after the surgery is related to healing and the irritation from the chemicals etc in the dressings. After that the wounds can be oversensitive. Harsh scratching, ointments, sweating, certain fabrics etc can all prolong and increase the itch. Best to resist the urge to scratch, avoid and lotions and wait it out. There are medications that might help such as those used for hayfever (antihistamines)
  • Thanks lizzy I was banded on sep18th about 12 weeks ago now,
    my scars are still quite red tho and dry They are healed quite well it's just the rash I'll definetly hit the sun tho ( if it warms up) lol thanks for your help
  • lizzzylizzzy
    Member, Moderator
    Your welcome Bec, sunshine is good for the mind body and soul, yet we have little sun here right now. Like i said if your still concerned get it checked out. I added a few drops of bio oil to a bath and had a good soak.
  • Great Idea :) I'm actually seeing Geoff today for a weigh and fill so ill get him to look at it, :)
  • Just a question in regards to pregnancy with a band,
    The 12 month wait after the op is that to lose as much weight as possible or does it have something todo with the band itself ??

Bec
  • lizzzylizzzy
    Member, Moderator
    sorry Bec i just dont have the answer for that one, maybe someone else can offer some assistance on this one
  • Thanks lizzy :)
  • mcb
    Member, Moderator
    I think it's for a number of reasons, to you give yourself time to get used to the band, get optimal weightloss & so you know what food will & won't work for you during pregnancy with the band. In my opinion, try to be carrying as little excess weight as possible. I had my daughter at 130kg and had major complications post delivery. This doesn't happen to all over weight pregnancies, but I'm sure my weight was a contributing factor. Good luck!
  • Thanks mcb :)
    I to had my daughter at 133 kilo and was on strict bedrest ( only allowed up to use bathroom and shower) from 8 weeks cause I have cervical incompetence my daughter was born at 25+3 and after she was born I was so weak and couldn't walk due to the 17 weeks on bedrest with 6 of those in hospital towards the end, next time around I want to be at least 80-90 kilo I still have 40 kilo to go for that goal tho :)
    Was just trying to understand why the 12 month wait, I've heard of people falling pregnant before hand, I do plan on waiting the 12 months tho ..
    Thanks so much
  • mcb
    Member, Moderator
    Wow, sounds like you had a rough trot. Glad to hear you are planning next one at a healthier weight. Speak to Geoff, get his thoughts on it.
  • Will definetly do that :)
    Back to see him in Tuesday last vist before jan :)
    Thanks
  • geoffdraper_surgeongeoffdraper_surgeon
    Administrator, Moderator
    Pregnancy and weight loss surgery. lot of reasons to delay pregnancy. They mostly relate to the unknown potential harm to the pregnancy of ongoing weight loss and the lost opportunity to lose weight. After a band it is recommended to wait 12 months at least , or until the weight loss has stopped, and for the Sleeve and bypass 24 months. This is because there is potential nutritional shortcomings in someone losing weight and after these operations. This along with ongoing weight loss is known to harm the baby. You will also fail to achieve the weight loss you would have otherwise reached and therefore your baby will not get to benefit from the health benefits etc your body is about to gain. And after pregnancy there is often very little weight loss, so you cant just pick up where you left off. There are more reasons, but this is the guts of it.

So, lose your weight, get your body in peak nick to carry a baby and then both you and your baby will benefit. You just have to wait...
  • I think I've hit a plateau :( since December 18th I've lost 800g I've gone up and down about 1.4 kilo I was doing well then Christmas came and Bang now I can't seem to get past 119.5 :(

Does anyone have any ideas on how to break the plateau ??
    I do feel I need another fill but don't see Geoff till the 29th jan :(
  • lizzzylizzzy
    Member, Moderator
    we all have them sweetheart, its just your body adapting to the changes, whilst your not losing weight you will be losing inches, its just a number try hard not to focus on it to much. The weight will come off some of us are slower than others. I had a plateau for 2.5 months. Just keep focused on eating properly, protein first veggies nest then carbs if there is any room left. drink lots especially in this hot weather.
    I am having a get together and clothes swap if your interested.
  • Thanks lizzy I was starting to think I'm doing something wrong,
    I'm off to buy a treadmill on Sunday so hopefully that helps a bit,
    I've been eating heaps of proteine I get so bloated after tho ...
    I have noticed my clothes ate fitting better and I just chucked out a heap and was given lots from 2 friends who also have bands,
    When is your clothes swop ??
  • SuccessfulsleeverSuccessfulsleever
    Member, Moderator
    Hi Bec, our next clothes swap and catch up is Friday 24th May from 7pm. PM me for the address, it's a private home in Carrum Downs. Feel free to bring a partner, friend or support person. Can sometimes be daunting going somewhere for the first time, we have all had those feelings of nervousness. Great group of people and I am sure you will make friends quickly!
  • Ohh it's hubbies birthday on the 24th so won't be able to make that one sorry :(
  • SuccessfulsleeverSuccessfulsleever
    Member, Moderator
    One after is June 21st, hopefully with that much notice you can keep it free!
  • geoffdraper_surgeongeoffdraper_surgeon
    Administrator, Moderator
    Early Plateaus happen in a lot of people. It is often around week 3 and month 3 post op for some reason in my experience! Most people can't explain their stable weight. It should be thought of as normal since it happens to so many. The weight loss just starts up again. Most of my patients tell me they just hang in there, keeping to the diet and exercise and healthy living and eventually, usually a few day or weeks later, the weight loss starts up again. The final plateau happens at 6 to 24 months depending on how much weight loss there is to be achieved. Why these plateaus occur we simply don't know!!
  • lizzzylizzzy
    Member, Moderator
    hey Geoff i put it down to the trauma our bodies went through at the first early plateau, and whilst we are not losing weight we are often losing inches. I tell every one not to stress or worry, it will slowly move again when their body is ready. We are all different and our bodies react accordingly, our weight will slowly move IF we continue to do the right things and eat the right size portion of food.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!